Sunday, September 02, 2012

Labor Day Weekend!

What are you plans for the weekend?  I'm thinking I should get some more sleep.  Here's why:

Weight Management- Lack of sleep causes the levels of hormones secreted by the stomach to be increased, then raising our appetite. When my daughter was in elementary school, she would whine saying she was hungry but when I made her something to eat, she wouldn't eat it .. just whine more.  I finally figured out that her body couldn't distinguish between hunger and tiredness. 

You see when we have chronic sleep deprivation, our brains have not had the adequate time to rejuvenate.  We do not release the hormone liptin from the brain.  The job of liptin is to tell our bodies we are full.  Tiredness then becomes confused with hunger since the hormone in the stomach, ghrelin is not being controlled by the brain's release of liptin.  This also leads to late night eating ...

Instead of snacking at midnight go to bed at 10:30. 

No comments: