Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Going Grain Free

Recently here in my family, we decided  we would do a month of grain free eating, which means we have taken all foods containing grains out of our diet.   Why you might ask?  Most of today's grains are highly processed and can cause many problems in the body.  I already am gluten free because I have a disease called Celiac.  This affects my small intestine and literally destroys the villi that aids in absorption by the body.  So I am already on my way to being grain free.  

Eating grain free is a TEMPORARY way of eating to encourage some changes in your body.  It reduces inflammation, detoxs the body, forces more vegetables in the diet, and can be a jump start to a weight loss program. 
If you were thinking of going grain free here are some things you may want to consider. 

First of all, here is the list of main whole grains and sudo grains (Carbs high in sugar that raise the insulin in your body) that I have taken out of my diet.  Wheat, barley, millet, rye, corn, malt, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, and rice. Sudo grains are white potatoes and some legumes.  Again I want to stress this is only temporary and after a period of time I will be introducing gluten free grains back into my diet.  Probably one per week.  

Second thing is that you will feel some cravings and maybe be irritable or experience headaches.  If you decide to do this remember you must eat more fruits and vegetables to make up for the loss of fiber and carbohydrates. There are many great recipes for grain free eating, just goggle grain free eating and a whole new world will open to you.

No comments: