Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Exercise Myths

If You Eat Healthy and Exercise Consistently, You Will Never Gain Weight

This is not true! I can tell you from personal experience that age does something to your body’s metabolism. Other changes in your body can cause weight gain too. I have hypothyroidism. This is a condition that causes me to have weight gain, fatigue, constantly feeling cold, plus many other symptoms. It took five years for me to convince my family doctor that I couldn’t lose weight. His standard answer to me was always, “You are getting older and so your metabolism is slowing down.”
I didn’t just accept his standard answer. I found a doctor who would listen to me and investigate other possibilities to why I was gaining weight and the many other symptoms that plagued me at the time. One thing though, I still had to change my eating and exercise regime. I could not eat popcorn with gobs of butter every night. I also added more cardio. So even though I have an age related condition that medication can help I still find that age is my worst enemy. If you fighting the battle of time you need to be willing to make lifestyle changes and dietary adjustments. The fact is, your metabolism slows down as you age. As a result, you often have to either eat less or exercise more to avoid gaining weight.

The biggest change in your metabolism usually occurs around the age of 40. So always keep your food and exercise plan flexible. Chart any other symptoms you might have. Some doctors love an informed patient while others find it threating. I have found that I know my body better because of all the research I have done and it helps to have a doctor who is willing to listen to my thoughts. One thing to remember if you are exercising and gaining weight you might find that you are not eating enough of the right stuff. You muscles cannot work efficiently without the proper energy. A balanced diet is one of the most important tools of any physically active person.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you talking to me sister? It seems as though you wrote this specifically for me. I will be turning the BIG 40 next month and I have struggle more in this last year just to lose 10 pounds. Currently I have givin up and I am gainning weight daily. I feel so fat and out of control. I enjoy your blogs and hope you continue to blog on a regular basic. Thanks.............

Tom said...

To Anonymous, O.K. so stop with the attitude. So you fell off the stage coach, we all have. I'm 61 and I know just what you're saying. But you know what? Tomorrow there's another stage coach just get back on and pick up where you left off. Our God always gives us second chances all you have to do is take it. You hear that in the distance? yup it another stage coach so go for it!

Drama Queen Of The Fitness World said...

To anonymous ... yes we have another chance everyday and you recognized that you have given up! That's the first step! Start again right now and remember it is only a number and numbers can't hurt us only what we think of them!