Monday, October 02, 2006

A Good Workout

I have mentioned a good workout in previous posts. So what is a "good" workout? I can't say a good workout is one that you sweat like crazy because I know many who workout hard but don't sweat much.

Now I believe that sweating is important. It is the way our bodies cool down. Kinda like a built in "air conditioning." I did some researching on why people do not sweat and found there are several reasons:

• Neurologic disorders such as Guillain-Barre syndrome
• Skin diseases that block sweat glands
• Congenital disorders including as ectodermal dysplasia
• Some drugs
• Trauma to sweat glands
• Burns
• Dehydration

As I looked at these different reasons, the one that most intrigued me was the last one, dehydration. I believe that most of us never drink enough water. Most of us are running on near empty. Now I know that some don't think that to be true, after all snops.com has an article on how we really don't need 8-10 glasses a day. I weigh 150 and my doctor said I need to drink at least half my body weight in ounces of water a day. That would make about 75 ounces so that equals a little more than 9 glasses a day. Pretty close to the rule of 8-10 glasses a day.

The purpose of normal sweating is to help the body maintain its fluid balance. Fluid intake is provided by the liquids we drink and from the food we eat.
Sweating helps the body to get rid of a variety of waste products and minerals--the most noticeable being salt.

Humm … I think I got a little carried away with the art of sweating!

Back to a good workout. There are many ways that you can get a good workout, it all depends on what you what kind of workout you want. I go to a Pilates class and the instructor is great. I leave there feeling taller, like I know that my muscles have been stretched and challenged. I sweat some but not much. So I believe that a good workout is measured by how you feel when you leave not always how wet you are from sweat. You should feel like you have used your muscles, refreshed and not wore out.

One more thing to get a good workout. Pay attention to your body while you are working out. Don’t daydream or talk continuously to a friend in class. It is important that you concentrate on what muscles you are using. Most workouts can be good ones when you remember that the effort you put into it will pay off in feeling healthier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm going to get a big glass of water now!

Drama Queen Of The Fitness World said...

Glad to see you take this to heart! Have a nice day!