Saturday, August 09, 2014

His Voice


Want to hear the voice of GOD?
                      Open a Bible ... ok so maybe you don't believe it is really God's Voice.  Then you shouldn't read this blog.   

Sure God spoke through the burning bush and dreams with Angels and I believe He still does. In fact the next time I see a bush on fire I'm going to listen very closely.  I'm not kidding or being sarcastic.  I look, listen, and wait for God and His voice everywhere.  But the only place I know I will hear it for sure is in my Bible.  

God speaks to us also through TRUSTED friends and family.  I say TRUSTED because I think one has to earn the right to tell someone what they think God is saying... you just can't walk up to someone and say, God told me to tell you ... it really doesn't have any validity.  Jesus had 12 close friends and 3 very close friends for a reason.   I also love the story of Mary coming to Jesus at the wedding ... she tells him they are out of wine and he is like .. so??? She earned her right to tell him what the Father was saying ... and he listened.  

Sin blocks the voice of God... before you open your Bible think if there is any unconfessed sin in your life.  I have been doing this everyday and what a difference it has made in my prayer and devotional life.  I'm not saying beat yourself up about it, I am just saying be in check with your thoughts and motives.  I think the worse sin is not LOVING people ...  Think of the rich young ruler that came to Jesus.  I love Mark's account after the young man says I have kept all the commandments. 

 ... Mark 10:21 Jesus looking at him, loved him and said to him.  

See Jesus didn't say ... OH NO YOU DIDN'T 

.... he loved him and said, "sell everything you have and follow me." ... Take sin out of life and follow me.  

Fasting can also open up your ears to hear God's voice.  Mark Batteson talks a lot about fasting in The Circle Maker and he doesn't just say to fast from food ... he said one summer his family fasted from TV! 

So I've going to fast from Social Media for 24 hours.  It may end up that I need more than 24 hours but I think it is a good start.  I'll let you know if I hear God's voice.  

Take a fasting challenge, think of something you can't live with out.  The reason I picked social media is because when the lights go out at my house, the first thing I think about is ... oh no, I can't get on Facebook.  Stupid I know, but I guess I discovered I can't live without it.   Maybe it is TV, your phone, a game, apps... music, whatever it is just try 24 hours and see if God speaks.  

No comments: