Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thoughts

Monday night we learned that Robin Williams apparently committed suicide.

When I first heard of his death, I heard Mork in my head say ... "This is false information" But unfortunately ... Mork was wrong.

Robin battled depression, had substance abuse, and heart surgery.  I read many comments about his life, comedy, acting career, humanitarian acts of love and charity.  His death came as a shock to us all and I find myself waking still with him on my mind.

Williams was such a part of my life yet I didn't know him personally nor have I ever seen him, in person.   I can't imagine how his family and close friends are feeling right now.

Dennis Miller said last night on a news show, "If a person with as much going for him as Williams could feel so alone, it is a warning to everyone."  He also said, it would honor Williams's memory to reach out to another person whenever YOU feel in such desperate straits because hope is always just around the corner.

I called my brother Monday night as soon as I had heard the news.  I knew he would understand me since he has a sixth sense into my thoughts... older brothers do you know... We were thinking along the same lines as Miller even then ... if someone with so much talent, success, and love could feel so alone ... is there any hope for us?

Suicide is an act of betrayal. The person contemplating the act, finding themselves in the pit of despair, doesn't think that way.

They just want the pain to go away.  

I know .. I've been there. 

What  has stopped me?  My kids, my husband, my brother, my friends, my God, and HOPE.  (not in any order)

Miller is right ... the sun will come up tomorrow and there is always HOPE.

That is the thing about HOPE ... we can always for hope for something.  You might say ... no, I have nothing to hope for,  oh but you do ... even in your darkest moments, hope that you can get out of your bed tomorrow.  I have been there too... Hope that the doctor will get your meds correct and the therapist will help you make the breakthrough.

If someone you love, suffers from depression ... take them seriously.  Because it is seriously situation.



No comments: