Tuesday, August 05, 2014

The Captain of the Ship

Adventure?  Love it? Hate it?  

No matter how you look at, life it is an adventure.  Some say, learn to love it or you will 
never be happy.  
I just heard Pharrell Williams's voice.  Who doesn't hear 'happy' and think of Pharrell?  Sorry for the interruption... 

So this morning I was thinking of all these different scenarios my life could be taking over the next year, and I began to feel like I was falling apart.  I was overwhelmed with what might happen. 

Then my mind took me back to Luke 5:27, a verse I read this morning ... "Later, as Jesus left the town, he saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at his tax collector's booth.  "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him."  The commentary that went with this devotion stated that following Jesus is an adventure and it will take us out of comfort zone.  
As that devotion played in my head... I thought ....

I am really out of my comfort zone.  The last seven years really haven't been comfortable either. So why am I praying this prayer for my family that will change a lot of things in my semi-comfortable life?  
I can't even answer that right now. 

But then as I turned in to the church parking lot where I was teaching my class, I said out loud, "boy am I glad I'm not the captain of this ship!"  

It was an epiphany.  

I have chosen to be a believer in God and so my life is His ... I'm on His ship experiencing the adventure.  Where it goes, is His direction and His control.  If it appears that I fail, just hold on because appearances aren't always what they seem.  I am waiting to hit Mach 1 ... till things turn into a sea of glass and I can see where my captain is leading us.  

No comments: